The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of the organization's fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with The Executive Director and the Board of Directors in all development and fund raising endeavors.
Development Director Responsibilities:
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Direct employee fundraising drives.
- Work closely with Executive Director, and Board of Directors.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information with the community.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
Development Director Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
Ready for your job description to do some good?
Writing a great job posting is just one aspect of finding the best development director for your non-profit. Check out Staffer.cc for help with the hiring and interviewing process.