The Director of Public Relations works with the senior management team to develop the communications plan.
Public Relations Director Responsibilities:
- Create and distribute press releases, media relations content, bi-annual newsletter content and speaking proposals
- Promote the organization through public relations initiatives
- Collaborate with the CEO and senior leadership to develop communications strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact
- Develop and refine the organization's "core" messages to ensure consistency
- Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support our work, and create and implement plans to exploit them
- Serve as executive editor for the organization's website
- Oversee organizational response to inquiries
Public Relations Director Qualifications and Skills:
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations
- Requires superior writing and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to write for multi-media
- Proven success at leveraging digital as well as traditional media
- Excellent project management skills
- Must be able to think, plan, lead, do, innovate, and pivot
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons
Ready for your job description to do some good?
Writing a great job posting is just one aspect of finding the best public relations director for your non-profit. Check out Staffer.cc for help with the hiring and interviewing process.